US Citizens in the UK

Are You A US Citizen Living In The UK?

If you have answered yes to our poll, you may be required to prepare a US Federal Tax Return with the IRS. US tax law states that a US Citizen must declare worldwide income no matter where he or she lives around the world.

EDA Professional Services is a Scottish based accountancy firm that can assist US Citizens with their filing requirements.  We can also help even if you are not based in the UK.

The independence referendum for Scotland has shown a victory for the Better Together campaign.  However, further powers to Scotland (though Devo Max) may give different tax rates.  Currently, the Double Tax Agreement with the United States is with the United Kingdom.  We may have to wait and see if this agreement would change to include different tax rates throughout the UK.

Depending on the level of taxes that may be due to the IRS, you may be required to prepare the last four years tax returns – even if there is no balance due.

If you are a US citizen living in the UK and would like to discuss this, please do not hesitate to contact us at We look forward to hearing from you.